Skip to content

Terror Strikes Boston on Patriots Day

April 15, 2013

BH6fCgFCQAERWMBBloodbath in Boston as two explosions rock finish line of iconic Boston Marathon race at around 2.50 p.m. as race was winding down

Two people confirmed dead and over 100 people injured – with up to a eight critically ill – 14 in a serious condition – many amputations reported by city hospitals

It has been reported that an eight-year-old child was one of the two people confirmed dead in the blast

article-2309570-1950AC33000005DC-28_638x355

Suspect being ‘held in Boston hospital’ with severe injuries while another man is pictured in handcuffs

A potential suspect in the Boston marathon attacks is being guarded by police in hospital, according to reports.

Several reports now say a suspect is being guarded in a Boston hospital bed. One report said he was a Saudi Arabian national.

The reports claim the hospitalized suspect was himself injured by shrapnel from the finish line explosions and has severe injuries

The New York Post said a police source told them the suspect was a Saudi Arabian national.

Police were keen to underline there had been no arrests but they did say they were talking to suspects.

There was another individual pictured in handcuffs at the scene but it wasn’t clear whether it was an unrelated arrest or not

‘At this time, we haven’t been notified of any arrests or anyone apprehended,’ a police spokesperson said.

Other reports suggested one line of inquiry was an individual caught on camera before the attack carrying multiple backpacks into the area – 20 minutes before the deadly blasts.

It came as police were believed to be looking at whether bombs were planted in trashcans along the route.

Another possible link is that today is Patriot’s Day in Massachusetts.

The Oklahoma City bombing took place two days after Patriot’s Day in 1995.

An FBI source told Mail Online it was an area being examined.

The two blasts occurred almost concurrently near the finish line of the marathon killing 2 and injuring dozens.

Police initially said a third blast occurred at the John F.Kennedy Presidential Library but later reported it as an unrelated fire.

Cellphone service was shut down across the area to prevent any potential remote detonations as police feared there were secondary devices.

Police were also said to be investigating the surveillance video of a potential suspect carrying backpacks.

The report appeared to corroborate earlier suggestions that small homemade bombs were responsible for the attacks designed to go off in unison and cause mass casualties.

Police were in a desperate race against time to find any additional devices this afternoon and said the task had been complicated by the items discarded by spectators fleeing the scene.

Multiple reports were flooding in in the moments after the attack saying there were devices reported outside Harvard and other sites along the marathon route.

Police said none of the reports were later confirmed as explosives.

All off-duty officers in the city were called back on duty as dog units were sent in to help the emergency response.

The area will remain cordoned off as forensic work continues.

Police were pleading with onlookers to head home over fears the dangers remained in the downtown area of the city.

NBC reported that the devices which caused the blasts were ‘small homemade bombs’ as the FBI referred it as a ‘terrorist attack’.

Police departments across the country including San Francisco and New York have been put on heightened alert.

In London security will now be assessed ahead of the marathon being held there on Sunday.

A non-fly zone was

temporarily introduced over the city and has now been lifted.

Runners still on the course were being bussed out this afternoon as officers begun the hard task of trying to work out who would cause such an attack.

Early indications suggested the bombs were planted at the finish line rather than being suicide attacks.

U.S. President Barack Obama was notified and directed his administration to provide whatever assistance was necessary, the White House said.

No groups have claimed credit for the attack and officials say no intelligence alerted them to a threat prior to the marathon.

Anyone with information about the explosions should call 1800-494-TIPS.

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2309570/Boston-Marathon-explosions-Suspect-held-hospital-severe-injuries-man-pictured-handcuffs.html#ixzz2QZvmx2pJ

Follow us: @MailOnline on Twitter | DailyMail on Facebook

Advertisements
Leave a Comment

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: